Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Daily Update, Special Summer Solstice Edition

Weight: 220

Currently Reading (fiction): Sons and Lovers, DH Lawrence. This book is slow going because it’s such a difficult read. Like all Lawrence novels, much of the dialogue is written in cumbersome cockney dialect.

Currently Reading (non-fiction): Nothing at the moment. I finished Traveling Music and have not yet started a new non-fiction book.

Currently Listening To: Texas Women, Hank Williams Jr.

Rush Lyric of the Day: Suddenly you were gone from all the lives you’d left your mark upon.

Guns n’ Roses Lyric of the Day: You wanna antagonize me? Antagonize me, mother fucker. Get in the ring, mother fucker. And I'll kick your bitchy little ass, punk.

GnR Update: I’m in the middle of one of my Guns n’ Roses phases. I’ll go several years without listening to their albums, and then I’ll suddenly "rediscover" the glory of a GnR album, and start listening again. I listed to Use Your Illusion I last night for the first time in probably 10 years.

Food Update: I’ve not been doing very well for the last few days, but today I’m having green tea (Bigelow green tea with lemon – very good) and oatmeal with flaxseed and granola. Yesterday I had vegetable soup and Cheez-its for lunch, and popcorn and Cheez-its for dinner. Not terribly healthy, but at least I didn’t overload on calories yesterday.

Today in History, June 21:

1305 – Death of Good King Wenceslaus.

1377 – Death of Edward III.

1527 – Death of Machiavelli.

1774 – Birth of Daniel D. Tompkins, governor of New York and vice-president under James Monroe, and subject of Kris Kringle’s trivia knowledge as displayed in Miracle On 34th Street.

1854 – Irish seaman Charles Davis Lucas earns the first ever Victoria Cross, during the Crimean War. A live shell landed on the deck of his ship, and while everyone else threw themselves flat to the deck, Lucas ran over, picked up the shell, and hurled it into the water, where it exploded without causing any serious damage or injuries.

1887 – Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee is celebrated, marking 50 years of the old bitch on the throne.

1939 – Lou Gherig’s retirement is announced due to his diagnosis with a disease that, strangely enough, shared his name.

1940 – France surrenders to Germany.

1942 – A Japanese submarine shells Fort Stevens, in Oregon.

1947 – A sailor in Washington State, Harol Dahl, claims to see six UFO’s, and makes the first known claim of a visit by one of the "Men in Black," a secret government official who threatens his family with harm if he tells his tale.

1952 – Death of Wilfred "Wop" May, Canadian aviation pioneer, and the would-be 81st victim of Manfred von Richthofen. Richthofen was chasing the rookie May across Australian-held territory when he was struck by a bullet most likely fired by a rifleman on the ground.

1982 – John Hinckley is found not guilty by reason of abundant necessity in the assassination attempt of Ronald Reagan.

1982 – Birth of Prince William, future King William V.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is healthy for you to just eat popcorn for dinner. And I heard I Used To Love Her on the radio the other night.

Scott said...

I slept until 8:30, and after that, I didn't feel like making anything, or going out. I ate popcorn while watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on DVD.